Monday, August 9, 2010

Lotus Wares makes it's mark...

When a ceramicist develops their arts practice they eventually become renown for their particular style and medium as in any case in the arts world, an extremely good example in the field of ceramics is Johanna Demaine and her lusterwares, upon viewing her works you immediately recognise them as a 'Demaine'.
Considering myself being relatively a new comer into the ceramics world I've been developing my ceramics by practice, practice, practice!!! To date I can say that I now sit comfortably with three vains of ceramics all being very different from one another, you could even say to extreme!
My three ceramics consisting of my Unearthed Series; as seen in '500 Pitchers' by Larks Books US publication, which has now become a regular feature in at Main Street Gallery in Montville and is starting to find itself in private collections across the world, my Discarded Series very left of centre works; a fusion of rusted metal, found objects and ceramics it's primary focus revolves around my concerns with our ever changing society and discarded nature we have adopted, and then there's my Lotus wares a range of functional pottery I am starting to be recognised for at Bribie Island Community Art Centre


I was approached by one of the ladies from the Arts Centre asking if I happen to have some chard tiles of the beautiful torquoise glaze of my lotus plates....not having any broken chards to offer....me being me and my love for giving, I suggested, "better still, how about I make one specifically for it?" How could one refuse the offer!
I have an affinity with the Island, not just for its beautiful beaches that surround it, I have fond memories of many visits to my grandmother as a teenager when she lived there with fish & chips on the beach, and my sister lived there, then my mum moved there and ofcourse, I eventually moved there!
Yesterday to my delight on my trip down to the Art Centre, first thing I noticed out the front entrance was the mosaic plaque and my lotus plate.
Bribie Island Community Art Centre; Mosaic plaque gracing itself at the front entrance.
The detail of my plate,
"Kind of a humbling feeling that part of me still residing on the Island along with my memories...."

1 comment:

  1. K- Love the concept or leaving a bit of yourself there as you move on to great things. Great colour. B

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment I really appreciate them!